Monday 9 August 2010

Fear

Is really interesting exploring the emotive side of people’s memory and researching the reaction of different occasions and situations that they went through affecting their feelings and causing a reaction.

Research showed that emotions such as anger, fear, shame are connected with survival and more often with defense without always being negative or positive.

Carroll Ellis considers that the conscious mind has a strong movement to be active and within its activity typically involves images, thoughts, and affective cognitive orientations that final being the most common structures in consciousness (Ellis: 1977, Human Emotions).


However a further research was conducted by asking different people and ages what kind of fears they have and what has caused them and what do they feel when they have this particular emotion?


Stelios

Age: 49


N: Do you have any fears?

I do have two fears in my life since I was really young which if I come across to something similar in my life I do get panic attacks.


N: What are these fears and how were created?

a) My biggest fear started when I was 13 in 1974 when the war in Cyprus happened with the Turks.

The bombs and the gun shots scared me and shocked me when now if I hear any sounds similar to them my heart beat goes really fast because I fear that the war is being repeated and that I will go through all these experiences again seeing people and children being killed, destroyed houses explosions e.t.c.


b) My second fear created a bit earlier than my biggest fear when I was 11 and I went for swimming with my brothers at the harbor. As I was swimming my brother had a stupid idea in order to make a joke to me to jump on my back as I was under the water swimming and not to let me breathe for a while. I was under the water enable to breathe as there was not any oxygen left and I swallowed a lot of water. After that I got in panic and really scared that now I am scared to swim because I believe is going to happen to me again.


Feelings: panic,fast heart beats, loosing the ability of control.


No comments:

Post a Comment